Putting to work
Silverpeas has perfected the methodology described below :
- Launch meetings: present representatives, schedule the first working meetings, operating procedures, quality assurance.
- Installation of the Silverpeas solution on an acceptance test server
- Introduction for the project manager on how to use Silverpeas (create spaces, deploy applications, directory connections, contributions, moderating)
- Additional collection of needs and features, interfaces with other applications, security policy, identifying existing content, defining new content, writing a file on feature specifications.
- In parallel, frequent internal updates on Silverpeas between the project manager and the product director for very early identification of possible required upgrades for the project.
- Graphical site: Workshops to define the ergonomics and the style guide, layout proposals (3), and to choose a direction, further study of the direction, and validation.
- Refine the schedule taking into account the specifications file
- Create page templates (Intranet homepage or web pages), create the Intranet "look", install the look on the acceptance test server, and possible product upgrades, installation of the Internet test site.
- Validation/acceptance test
- Train key users (referrers)
- Train technical administrators of the platform
It has 3 objectives :
- Align the objectives followed by the steering committee members:
- Strategic objectives followed (collaborative work in view of better team creativity and productivity, lowering costs, etc.)
- Evaluate the expected impacts by putting in place different units
- Identify the risks:
- Programming: integration of the client's other business applications that are currently being upgraded or that will be upgraded, poor modeling of the ranking plan by subject or collaborative spaces
- Operational: usage constraints, reticent habits to modify, response time, etc.
- Mitigate the identified risks:
- Formalize the risks (risk matrices) and counter measures to mitigate them
- Refine the IS upgrade plan around the solution
- Put in place an internal communications plan for the client, to encourage the acceptance of the platform: a calendar is elaborated with the help of Silverpeas
- Put in place a usage chart for the content management platform
- Build a training plan
- Form agile and motivated pilot teams
The implementation needs to always be carried out within the context of real projects (run with objectives, deadlines, a manager, working groups). The worst error is to make available a "parachute" solution, which is uninvolved and unaccompanied, without explanations and support.
This work consists of:
- Connecting the Silverpeas directory to your company directory (LDAP or Microsoft Active Directory),
- Providing access to your "business" applications through an SSO (e.g., CAS) or through an SSO client (customized hyperlinks)
- Integrate the data from various sources (times, restaurant menus, vacations, weather, etc.) into the homepages
- Integrate your file servers (recovery or indexing of collection holdings)